- Since 1999, NLMK Group completed dozens of large-scale capex project to boost energy efficiency. During this period, NLMK Group reduced its specific energy intensity which is now very close to the best available technology levels.
- Since 2008 till present, the total gain from initiatives on energy efficiency increase across NLMK Group's plants exceeds RUB 1 billion. The low-cost energy efficiency initiatives at Novolipetsk completed in 2001-2007 allowed the accumulated gain of RUB 2.6 billion.
- The volume of electrical energy generated by plants run mainly on by-product gases from coke and blast furnace operations has increased by 3.5 times. This, among other things, makes the Lipetsk site 54% self-sufficient in electrical energy. In addition to reduced energy and production cost, such initiatives help the Company to minimize its environmental footprint.
- Use of by-products from operations is NLMK Group's primary strategic focus in energy resource management. For example, NLMK Group continues implementation of green energy projects at Novolipetsk. The Company is building top-pressure recovery turbine plants that generate energy from the blast furnace gas escaping at high pressure. Earlier, Novolipetsk commissioned a new recovery cogeneration plant with installed capacity of 150 MW.
KEY ENERGY EFFICIENCY PROJECTS
- Upgrade of lighting systems at NLMK Group companies
- Optimization of generating facilities repair and maintenance to increase captive electrical energy generation and boost recovery of by-product gases
- Upgrade of steam and hot water pipeline covering to reduce heat losses, etc.