NLMK Group’s activities include:
- Assessment of direct and indirect greenhouse gas emissions (Scope 1, 2, 3) in line with the international GHG Protocol standard;
- Regular verification of greenhouse gas emission data;
- Assessment of climate-related risks and opportunities in line with the recommendations of the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD);
- Participation in CDP (Carbon Disclosure Project) programme
- Regularly providing СО2 emission data to the World Steel Association (WSA);
- Assessing the carbon footprint of products;
- Fine-tuning and monitoring projects aimed at reducing СО2 emissions;
NLMK Group has
set a measurable СО2 emission reduction target
The Company will continue to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions while also increasing steel output. By 2023, specific emissions across NLMK Group will total 1.84 tonnes of СО2 per tonne of steel, which is consistent with the level of leading global steelmakers.
* Specific emissions without the impact of temporary factors related to lower production
* Удельная эмиссия без влияния временных факторов, связанных со снижением производства
Key projects aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions
Currently, NLMK’s GHG indicators are higher than the average EU level
NLMK Group is exploring advanced decarbonization methods at its sites. The most promising ways for NLMK to use CO2 as a product are process water softening, slag carbonization, and market sales of carbon dioxide. NLMK is exploring the use of hydrogen in the production process.